Saturday, August 13, 2011

Fantasia 2011 (Day 16)

FRIDAY, JULY 29


A typically varied, typically lonely *sigh* night at the festival. I actually had four films scheduled for July 29th, Les lèvres rouges (aka Daughters of Darkness) being neatly tucked between the screenings of Beyond the Black Rainbow and Rabies. But seeing how the first film started late, how I didn't want to be involved in a silly rat race like that of Wednesday night, how I wanted to dedicate some time for a proper meal, and how I actually own a copy of the film, I eschewed that screening and grabbed a bit of Chinese instead, where I caught a glimpse of Brandon Trost, star of The FC (his eye-patch does leave a lasting impression).

Then, I managed to gather the fleeting thoughts garnered from the screening of fantastic Canadian oddity Beyond the Black Rainbow. After a scant hour of feverish scribbling in my notepad, I was ripe for Rabies, the first ever Israeli horror film I would see. When that treat of a film ended, I should've called it a night and left the Concordia campus fully content with what I had seen that day. But being the excessive completist that I am, I just had to stay for Horny House of Horror, holding on to the thought that one of my friends would actually honor his desire to see the film and come join me for the midnight screening. Sitting patiently, scribbling with far less intensity than before, I craved his arrival, knowing in the depths of my heart that he certainly wouldn't come, but still hanging on to the thought that he would suddenly emerge, and that we could share a well-needed joint prior to entering the deserted Hall theater. But as it stand, I had to see the film as sober as a pope, and as underwhelmed as any mainstream movie-goer would be, given the spectacle of yet another poorly-produced, excessively gory Japanese button-pusher. And while I wasn't actually surprised by what I saw, I kinda wished that I had been...


FILMS SEEN

Beyond the Black Rainbow
The best surprise this year, the present film acts as the missing link between horror cinema of the 70s and the 80s. Read full review here.

ENTHUSIASTIC THUMBS UP


Rabies
Greatly produced Israeli horror surprises you at every turn. A rarity in an overcrowded genre. Read full review here.

THUMBS UP


Horny House of Horror
Technically and narratively inept Japanese quickie contains enough severed cocks and naked breasts to please hardcore fans. Others should avoid it. Read full review here.

THUMBS DOWN