Saturday, August 13, 2011

Fantasia 2011 (Day 12)

MONDAY, JULY 25


I almost didn't make it to the theater that night, seeing how I was to be confronted with a romantic comedy. At first, I had scheduled the film because of Johnnie To's involvement, but then, as the screening came closer and closer, I started to have doubts. Pristine production values and solid direction aside, I envisioned a completely uninvolving narrative constituted of predictable misunderstandings and fake feelings. But eventually, I did go, as a completist hellbent on breaking my 64 films record established two years before. I even managed to convince myself that the film would certainly be good, recalling To's impressive track record, and the many pleasant memories I entertain in regards to the eight films I have seen through the years (the bulk of which was at Fantasia). And in the end, the man didn't let me down, coming up with a new film that I found more satisfying than many recent offerings (including Triangle and Sparrow). That said, Don't Go Breaking My Heart proved to be one of the best surprises I've had all year, and it was a privilege to be part of the first North American audience to see it.

The good stuff kept on coming with the second screening, another fine surprise for which I had no prior expectations. Granted, the title is hilarious (and it perfectly characterizes the bland protagonist), but that alone is hardly worth a hoot. Luckily, behind the title lied a clever black comedy, which managed to appropriately dose lighthearted humor and hardcore drama in a seamless manner.

So, I was treated to both a good romantic comedy and a good black comedy during the course of a single night, which constitutes a highly improbable occurrence. But one that materialized nonetheless, thanks to the good people at Fantasia. Thanks again, guys!


FILMS SEEN

Don't Go Breaking My Heart
This film features a classic amorous triangle, wherein a cute working girl (Gao Yuanyuan) must choose between a sweet, romantic architect (Daniel Wu) and a self-assured, but unfaithful businessman (Louis Koo). Both men are filthy fucking rich, contrary to what you might believe based on the initial look of the architect. So there is no real class consideration here, only a question about which of the two men will romantically outbid the other in order to acquire the girl's heart. In rather clever fashion, the crux of the narrative is constrained within the limits of two windowed locales contained in two adjacent office buildings, from where the characters can interact with each other visually, but without exchanging words, which allows many misunderstandings to take root and invade the storyline.

If this had been a gangster film, my friends would've swarmed me for the screening. Instead, I had to share the pleasure of seeing this latest Johnnie To film with my sister-in-law, the big romcom aficionado. In retrospect, her presence was quite valuable to me, as she contributed her knowledge of the genre to my technical appraisal. That said, To does a lot here, with a fairly limited number of sets and characters, managing the maximal amount of misunderstandings one can cram in a 117-minute film by making savvy use of triangular composition. Of course, the genre he decides to use here is riddled with many nasty features such as the undeniable equation of money and romantic potential, but even the most cynical loners such as myself can still appreciate the film from a technical and visual standpoint.

As for the three leads, they vigorously interpret three appealing archetypes, keeping the ensemble afloat thanks to their irresistible antics and charismatic faces. The superior production values further help Koo and Wu flesh out their characters by giving them the ability to lavish extravagant gifts on their object of affection, including shiny rings, prestigious downtown flats, shimmering sports cars, fancy dinners in high-rise restaurants and love messages written on the sides of buildings using lit and unlit windows. Now, I won't dwell on the evils of romcoms, which are not only corny, but which also aim to create unrealistic romantic ideals amongst daydreaming girls, ideals that tend to reduce romance to whatever amount of dollars a man is willing to spend in order to grab hold of a potential girlfriend. Suffice it to say that Don't Go Breaking My Heart is a vastly superior entry in the genre.

THUMBS UP


Some Guy Who Kills People
Although it loses steam during the last reel, this offbeat black comedy manages to successfully incorporate cringe-inducing sarcasm with lighthearted comedy. Read full review here.

THUMBS UP